Sunday, January 18, 2009

A Narrowing Of Focus

I haven't posted for a while because I've been rethinking what I want to do with this blog. I do like the idea of posting music clips but I've really been random with them and it was really starting to look like an oldies party around here with the last few posts. Instead I want to concentrate on all the jazz works I've been finding especially rare clips by modern musicians especially those who don't get much recognition these days. There is still some rare stuff in other areas out there I want to post and I will not neglect some of my other favorite niche genres like female British folk singers but I want to concentrate for a while on giving some love to jazz and other improvising musicians like the following...

NBC doesn't seem to have a problem with clips of the Johnny Carson era Tonight Show on YouTube because Carson of course had an excellent big band on his show and loved having visiting musicians come in and play with them, including here someone not known for straight ahead work, the great guitarist John McLaughlin. He does himself proud here, just nonchalantly sitting down with an acoustic and jamming the hell out of "Cherokee".

No comments: