Monday, April 21, 2008

Pure Pleasure

I finally admit it. One of the most enjoyable things in the world to me is browsing in an honest-to-God record store, one that is full of CDs of every genre both new and old. I didn't realize how good I had it when there was a Tower Records only four blocks from where I worked and I could stop in any time I wanted just to roam around. Now Tower has been gone for a year and a half and I really miss the place.
Fortunately there is still one full to the gills store in town, Melody Records. It isn't close to me and I don't get there very often but I finally got back up there Saturday and I was in heaven, rows and rows of wonderful rare and cool stuff in jazz, folk, classical, electronic and rock among other categories. I had planned to buy only two or three discs so naturally I walked out with four: "The Time Has Come" by Anne Briggs, "Sunshine Of My Soul" by Jaki Byard, "Boss" byMagik Markers and a twofer of The Impressions' "This Is My Country" and "The Young Mod's Forgotten Story". And all the stuff still there for future visits: Max Roach, Pentangle, Cecil Taylor, Carla Bozulich, The Move, The Electric Flag, Kevin Ayers, Philip Glass. That just scratches the surface. I don't care how geeky it makes me look. I love spending hours in a store like that.

No comments: