Saturday, May 24, 2008

Blockbuster Blues

This is the time of year when I almost never go to a movie theatre any more. This is, of course, the !!SUMMER MOVIE SEASON!! when some would be blockbuster comes out every week beating you over the head with noise and special effects until you're unconscious.

Once upon a time I used to go to these things and liked them. That was back in the days of the early Star Wars, Superman and Indiana Jones movies. Then those were rare enough to be special events and they were actually fun. After "Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom" though I began to check out. That was when I realized they were all the same, action sequences and dumb jokes that led you around by the nose and dictated how and when you should react. That was also before it all got to be an every week of the summer phenomenon with every weekend bringing some new two-and-a-half-hour long picture derived from a TV show, cartoon, comic book or old movie, not to mention sequels.

I certainly have nothing against the source materials. I avidly read comic books from the 60's into the 80's and I know more about Iron Man, Spider Man and The X-Men than most people. I just have no desire to see them in live action which is invariably not as impressive as the old crazily scripted and drawn original work was. I did see the first X-Men movie and I had no desire to go back for more.

Right now there's really not even anything in the "art" theatres that strikes my fancy. I probably won't venture into a theatre again until the "Oscar bait" movies start coming out in the Fall. There are still DVDs though and I'll be writing about some recent viewings in the next few days.

No comments: