Friday, January 14, 2011

Resolutions

This is the time of year when everybody makes resolutions.  I need to make a lot of personal ones which I won't go into here but as far as this blog is concerned I'm going to try to post a lot more frequently (he said on January 14th).

I think my main reluctance in writing here has been feeling like I don't have much to say. I get a bit intimidated when I see the ground covered by a lot of the other film and music blogs I look at. As I said earlier, I don't make it to too many current films in theatres. Right now I know there's True Grit, The King's Speech, Blue Valentine, The Fighter and a few others out there that I would like to see but who knows if I'll get to them.  Music, even limiting it to the Jazz and improvising genres I like most, is an even more overwhelming proposition with scores of CDs from the past and present out there and, despite what people say about the music business dying, more and more coming out every week.

I'm going to try to resolve to not be overwhelmed by every appetizing thing I hear or read about but just deal with what I really have in front of me, the DVDs I rent from Netflix and ClassicFlix, a company that rents older movies including a lot of stuff available through the various studio MOD programs, plus what I have access to through On Demand, cable, and Netflix Streaming. In addition to that, I've actually bought a few things I've yet to completely go through, the set of early Charlie Chase silents I bought last summer at Slapsticon, a set of Stan Brakhage films from Criterion, collections of various public domain genre films and the highly touted box of the Thriller tv show which became a no-brainer purchase once Amazon put it on sale for less than half price.  Since I already review bunches of CDs for Cadence I'm less inclined to write here about the music I'm constantly buying and learning about but I'll try to include some of that too when the mood hits me.

I know I need to do a lot more reaching out in many aspects of my life and it's high time I started treating this blog like a good opportunity to do that.

No comments: