Sunday, September 16, 2007

Touching Sound


I just saw a film that was a lot more inspirational and profound than a lot of the stuff I've been spending time with lately, "Touch The Sound", a film about the world-renowned percussionist Evelyn Glennie, a woman who is profundly deaf yet has become an acclaimed musician who uses her entire body to "hear" music from the vibrations it produces. The notion of feeling with your body and all your senses is one I can relate to and I really need to pay attention the idea that she has never let the world define who she was or what she was capable of. She was shown playing on rooftops, in museums and in Grand Central Station and largely improvising with guitarist-composer Fred Frith at a recording session. Defining who you are and what your goals are in life is a very important thing and something I need to get back to.

No comments: